Dr. Zaander takes a compassionate approach to family planning, reviewing each woman’s goals and wishes.
We offer family planning options in the office. This includes consultation on methods such as Natural Family Planning. Other options can include barrier methods, such as condoms or diaphragms, often used with spermicides. We will discuss medication-based options such as birth control pills, the patch, the ring, and the Depo-Provera injection.
We are particularly pleased to offer long-acting contraceptive options, often called LARCs. These are highly effective and convenient options that many women are choosing. Options include the Nexplanon, which is placed just under the skin in the arm and works for three years.
A very popular LARC option is an IUD, or intrauterine device. This is a T-shaped device that is placed in the uterus at a simple, quick office visit. We offer 5 IUDs, including the Skyla, Kyleena, Liletta, Mirena and Paragard. We do recommend a consult prior to placement to determine which IUD is right for you. Depending on which you choose, IUDs can last from 3 to 10 years, and may improve your periods. Modern IUDs are one of the safest and most effective options you can choose.
Another option to consider, if you are sure your family is complete, is surgical sterilization. This is most commonly done by an outpatient surgical procedure called a laparoscopy.
After a careful review of your medical history and goals, we will educate you on options and help you come to a decision on the best contraceptive method for you.
- Hormonal contraception comes in many forms, oral tablets with shortened menses, vaginal hormonal contraception (Nuva Ring), or transdermal (through the skin Ortho Evra patch)
- Hormone injections DepoProvera
- Hormonal implant Nexplanon
- Intrauterine devices Mirena, Kyleena, Skyla, and ParaGuard
- Natural family planning
- Permanent Sterilization performed in a day surgical setting
- Counseling regarding barrier and spermicidal methods
- Diaphragm fitting
- Essure, transuterine placement of coils to obstruct the fallopian